Today is Labor Day, a day that became a federal holiday in 1894. A day created to pay tribute to the contributions that workers have made to the prosperity and well-being of our country. And a day which society eventually adopted as the natural endpoint for summer fashion. During that time, in order to tell who was acceptable and who wasn’t, women who were already “in” felt it necessary to create fashion rules that everyone “in the know” had to follow. One of them being not to wear white outside of the summer months.
Since then, there’s been a lot of confusion about the wearing of the color white after Labor Day. Currently there are many different opinions. Some people say don’t wear it at all. Some say do it, but then add restrictions. Then others, well honestly it seems they have no idea whether or not they should, but since they remember hearing some time from someone that they shouldn’t, they just don’t. I personally love wearing white, and am here to let you know why you should wear it…no matter what time of year.
1. Because it’s 2013. Are we still wearing petticoats and bustles? No. So why must we still be adhering to some 1800s socialite’s no white after Labor Day fashion statement?
2. Because it’s hot! 87° today people, and it’s looking like it will be in the 90’s next weekend. Do I want to run around with visible sweat stains all over my body? No, thank you.
3. Because summer isn’t technically over. The first day of fall begins September 22nd, so if I’m going to partake in any end of summer fashion rule nonsense, then I’m at least going to wait until the actual end of summer.
4. Because it looks good. I mean, I’m all for not wearing things like fur coats in the summer and sweating to death or the color hot pink…ever, but white looks good year round, with pretty much anything, on pretty much everyone. There’s no way I’m giving it up. Just check out these fashionista celebrities wearing white in…November? That’s right. And if Kim and Gwyneth are ok with it, so am I.
5. Because shoes are expensive. I’m not a big sneakers buyer, but for example: The new Air Jordan 4 Retros are $160. Umm…there’s no way I’m just going to put away a pair of $100 shoes because someone that no one knows back in the 1800’s said so for a reason that no one remembers. Get out of here with that nonsense.
6. Because as everyone knows it’s cool to do the “not cool” thing. Thank you hipsters.
7. Because your shoes will get dirty regardless of the the season. Yes, I read an article that said you shouldn’t wear them because they can get dirty in the “heavy fall rain.” Really, because there’s no rain or mud in the spring or summer? You just do what you do every other season of the year; check the weather before you go out and dress accordingly. Or…
8. Because if it is a rainy fall day and he does happen to be wearing white, well then…it’s a good day for us all.
Happy Labor Day St. Louis! Enjoy your day, a day created to celebrate and pay tribute to You. And feel free to pick up some white for your fall wardrobe while you’re taking advantage of the great sales today.
Brought to you by Mills Properties