This week we are talking baseball! Yep folks, it’s that time of the year when it’s time to start thinking about Spring/Summer baseball leagues and how to get your kids signed up. If you haven’t already signed up, you need to get on the ball, pun intended!
There are some great youth sports organizations in the St. Louis metro area and enough that there should be one close to you. There are a lot of things to consider when you are choosing an organization:
- Proximity to your house or work. – A 6 pm game means being on the field at least 15 minutes early to warm up. It can be tough to coordinate when you work until 5 pm in South County and the game is in Florissant!
- Cost – Some organizations have a registration fee and separate fees for uniforms. As your child progresses, there may also be tournament fees. Make sure you know the fees up front so you can plan financially.
- Equipment – plan for cleats, bats, balls, helmets, and gloves.
- Fields – Does your organization have their own fields and will your child be playing there or traveling around?
- Practices and games – What is the schedule and how often? Each league is different, each coach is different, so ask questions. Will it work with your schedule, be enough for your child to learn the game, or be more than your child or schedule can handle? Big time commitments do not always equal a better team!
- Responsibilities as parents – Some organizations require fundraisers or parents to work concession stands to help defer some of the organizational costs. Can you coach a team or help organize the team as a manager? How can you add your skills, talents, or connections to the team?
Where can or should my kids play? When I started searching the web for the info I needed,
low and behold, someone had already written about it. More than once. Oh well, work smarter not harder, right? Some great blogs have been written and websites created about the different leagues in St. Louis at ehow.com.
The best website for tons of different kinds of sports all over St. Louis is PlayKidsSports. And of course, our home ballpark ABC Ballpark in St. Ann!
Sign up now and PLAY BALL!
Oh, and don’t forget your money for the celebratory cheese fries from the concession stand after the game!
Brought to you by Mills Properties