St. Louis Gas Prices Second Edition
Okay, so since we last talked gas prices, chances are you didn’t immediately go buy a Huffy bicycle, a Hybrid car, or head up a car pool committee at work. But two things still remain true: 1.) Gas prices are still rising and 2.) We still need a way to make it work for our budget and our environment.
So here are some tips to make the most out of your miles per gallon.
- Keep your vehicle well maintained. This goes beyond oil changes and tire rotations. A dirty air filter can reduce gas mileage up to 20% and spark plugs in poor condition can reduce it up to 12%. Underinflated tires, besides being dangerous, can reduce your MPG’s by up to 25%!
- Buy gas on… 1.) Wednesday. Stastically, but not always, gas is cheapest on a Wednesday. 2.) During the coolest time of day. This is when gas is densest and gas pumps measure volumes, not desities of fuel concentration. 3.) Buy gas from a wholesale club like Sam’s or Costco. These stores typically offer members dicounts of up to 10 cents per gallon.
- Travel light. With the ice and snow off the road it’s time to take those sand bags out of the trunk.
- Tighten up & no top off. Make sure your gas cap makes that annoying clicking noise that says it’s on right and trust the auto-shut off. Fuel vaporization and overfilling leads to lots of wasted gas.
- Anticipation and consistency. Be aware of your route and plan ahead. Less stops and less idling means better gas mileage. Getting up and out an extra 10-15 minutes earlier means you won’t have to speed to work at 75-80 miles per hour. For every 5 mph you drive over 60 mph, it’s estimated you pay an extra 20 cents per gallon. Yikes!
Even though I still cringe when I drive past QuikTrip and see $3.19 to $3.29 a gallon, I have a hard time feeling sorry for those pumping gas with a Starbucks in hand. Those paying, on average, about $4.00 for coffee may need to rethink their priorities or step into the ‘No Whining Zone’ when it comes to gas prices. It just makes me glad my Focus doesn’t run on java.
Brought to you by Mills Properties.
*information read here was gathered loosely on Google and is for informational and entertainment purposes.*